Antique shutters; a makeover story!

My favourite stores are very quickly becoming flea markets and second hand shops because I love to find inspiration for my next project. My journey began when a friend I worked with began to show me all her amazing furniture makeover projects and she sparked a fire in me. I quickly became a pinterest addict to get inspiration for easy shabby chic projects that I could try. My very first project was a shelf I had in my children’s nursery and from there I wanted to try more!

My favourite project so far has been a pair of antiques shutters I found right around the corner from me; what a find! Dirt and cobwebs came free 🙂 I began by cleaning them and used my pinterest research to begin the process of deciding what I would do with them. I adore a ‘beachy’ look and hoped to achieve that with this project. I knew I wanted to display them above my front door in the foyer.

shutters - Copy

Antique shutters: I paid $25 each

After cleaning, I needed to start with some sort of primer; to save money, I decided to use a chalk paint that I had left from other projects. The paint brand was FAT Paint and the colour was bella blue. This paint has excellent coverage, low odour, dries quickly and is very easy to use. I am amazed at how many projects I have done with this one small can of paint. Chalk paint can be a good option for a project like this since you do not need a primer underneath, just a fairly clean base.

projects 255

I liked how the shutters looked after the bella blue was finished but they did not quite feel finished yet. I had seen some great layered paint looks and thought I was ready to attempt a more advanced technique; what is the worst that can happen? If I didn’t like it I could just paint it again 🙂

I gave the shutters a light sanding and then the fun continued. The three items I used to complete the look were ones I already had at home, so again I did not have to spend more money!

shutters.paint.jpg

I started my layered look on the back of the shutters in case I did not like it or changed my mind (I am so glad I did because it was good practice!)

I used simple craft paint to get the layered look; with a dry brush technique I began with the folk art brand paint in patina in random areas all over the shutters. Next, I white-washed using the white craft paint mixed with water (about 50/50) and applied it all over with a rag. To give an older look, I then watered down the Minwax water based wood sheen in Colonial Walnut and ragged it on all over. I then used my white-wash again over the stain until I got the look I wanted. I let each layer dry in between coats.

shutters.after1

18056724_1284345301620560_7556245624498430106_n

Just a hint; I did have to leave it to dry and come back to it the next day to be sure I liked it; stepping away overnight helped me to see it the next day with a fresh perspective.

The more I looked at them, the more I loved how they turned out and then wanted to seal it. I chose to use a spray paint in clear satin; I did about 2 coats and one can was enough.

My new foyer look:

foyer

A small foyer transformed.

Thank you for stopping by my nest and I would love to hear about your projects.

Have a beautiful day!

Melanie.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s