It has been my plan to make over my dining room cabinet, especially since I gave my table and chairs a new look a few years ago. As you can see, with so much glass on this 90’s cabinet, I thought this project would require a lot of time so I put it off.
I am happy to share that I finally did it! I wanted to describe the process for you and show the final result to inspire you to redo that piece of furniture you know you have been wanting to update!
I did this project in stages and worked on it when I had time. Stage one was emptying it (I can’t believe how much I had in there!) and taping the glass. I had a wide painters tape and decided to make squares so I could tape the corners more efficiently and it worked well. I think I did about 48!
After a good cleaning and a very light sanding (mostly to remove residue) with a 220 sandpaper I was ready for paint. I decided to use chalk paint and bought Artminds chalk paint in the colour ‘porcelain’.I was impressed with the coverage and how little paint I needed. The picture above was after the first coat. I did a second coat and at the end I watered down some of the same colour to give it just a light third coat; this saved me paint and it worked well.
After the painting was complete it was time to work on the back face of the cabinet. My inspiration for the look came from something I saw on pinterest from hometalk. I like the farmhouse style with some rustic charm.
My cabinet had mirror at the back of the outer sections and I wanted the back to look consistent. I used pine wood panelling that I found at Rona for a very good price and my husband cut them to length for me. We fit and taped the back of the boards together and I stained the pieces with Minwax Espresso. I wanted a more rustic look so I brushed on some watered down grey latex paint and used a damp rag to rub it in. To protect and seal the wood, I brushed on 2 coats of Varathane water based wood finish in satin. After the varathane, the grey washed look was toned down but I still liked the look.
We used a construction adhesive to glue the panels to the back of the cabinet. Now all I had to do was complete the distressing; I used 220 grit wet sandpaper (to cut down on the dust) and only distressed the edges and details; I did not want a ‘chippy’ look.
We had to get the inside glass shelves cut to fit now that the wood was at the back so a local glass shop did that for us and it only cost 40 dollars. I decided to stencil a detail on the drawers and used furniture wax to finish the piece. The handles were spray painted in a matte black.
I love my new cabinet and I used many supplies I already had on hand so other than the glass cutting, the cost was only about 35 dollars.
I have to give a big shout out to my hubby who helped me with this project!
Thank you for stopping by, please do not hesitate to comment or ask questions.
Have a beautiful day!